FAQs

How is my spine corrected?
Doctors of Chiropractic focus on the nervous system and its association with the spine.  They are trained to adjust the misaligned vertebrae to their proper position by restoring normal range of motion in the spinal column. They do this manually, utilising the chiropractic procedure known as “spinal adjustment.”  In our office, we use a combination of our hands in applying corrective pressure to the spine in a specific direction and location, and also with a specific table. The adjustment is delivered manually with gentle force or with an instrument called the activator. These techniques and tools help to restore the alignment and mobility of the vertebrae, and as a result the functioning of the entire body.

Does the adjustment hurt?
Under normal circumstances, chiropractic adjustments are painless. In case of acute injuries focus will be to use gentle technique until the swelling comes down.

Does an adjustment have to make a noise to be effective?
No. The smooth articular surface becomes separated and releasing a small amount of gas creating a small vacuum, making a noise. Similar to when you “fart in the bath”. This is the sound made when you crack your knuckles. Your chiropractor is concerned with the position of your vertebrae, not with the noise that may occur.

Can’t I do it myself?
No. Your chiropractor has their own chiropractor for regular tune ups.  Each adjustment is specific and localized. Your spine should not be ‘cracked’ by any one that has not had the proper training as you can end up doing long-term damage.

How is my chiropractor educated?
Chiropractors (DC’s) must complete a five-year university degree and as such are primary health care providers. This means that like your general practitioner (GP) they have comprehensive knowledge of all systems of the body and diagnostic procedures. This enables the chiropractor to thoroughly evaluate a patient, address disorders relating to the spine, take and analyse from x rays and determine the need for referral to another health care provider. They have received extensive demanding and ongoing professional education on par with a medical doctor, focusing more on the nervous system than the effects on pharmaceutical drugs on the body.

Once I go don’t I have to keep going back forever?
No. As with any other heath service the choice of how long you choose to benefit from chiropractic care is ALWAYS up to you. We find once patients understand the relationship between their spine and overall health many choose to have regular chiropractic check ups, in the same way they get their teeth checked or their car serviced.

Should my children have their spine checked?
Absolutely. Chiropractic patients range in years from birth to old age. Regardless of age, the vertebrae can become misaligned. For example, the birth process may cause trauma to the neck and spine causing irritation to the nerves that control the youngster’s muscles and organs.

Forceps delivery at birth may cause deformity of the skull that can be helped with chiropractic. An early chiropractic check up may detect many spinal problems while they are still easily correctable

How does chiropractic care help the pregnant woman?
Because of the additional weight and stress on the framework of the body in pregnant women, chiropractic adjustments can help lower the incidence of pain in the low back and legs, and between the shoulder blades. In some cases, fewer headaches and problems with nausea and elimination may also result. Many chiropractors care for expectant mothers in the regular course of their daily practices. It is proven that women who undergo chiropractic treatment during pregnancy have a shorter labour time based on the principle that if the pelvis is kept in good alignment following the changes of hormones and the weakening of the ligaments that stabilise the pelvis, the baby has more chance to get through the birth canal quickly and safety.

Is Chiropractic safe?
Yes! Chiropractors care for their patients using safe, gentle and scientifically validated techniques. We aim to educate all our patients to inform them how and why Chiropractic is safe and appropriate for people of all ages, especially babies and children.

How do I know whether I need to see a Chiropractor?
Everyone should get his or her spine checked. Only 10% of your nervous system perceives pain, the other 90% is what is making your body function (ie it is possible to have nerve interference and feel no pain). How you feel is a poor judge of your health. By the time a symptom appears, many spinal problems are advanced. Chiropractic focuses on the damaging importance of of finding area of the spine that causes a loss of normal spinal and nervous system function, essential to all body systems including immune system etc. etc.

Further questions? Please ask!